Sunday, September 19, 2010

Life on The Jersey Shore

Life On the Jersey Shore


When most people talk about the Jersey Shore TV show on MTV, they are usually raving about how amazing the show is. I am proud to say that I have never been able to sit through an entire episode of this awful television show. I have asked myself, why does television even allow this to air, do people actually enjoy watching this? The fact of the matter is, that many find this show to be extremely entertaining. I began to investigate what exactly about the vulgarity of this show is appealing. The television (the media in this case), is broadcasting poor messages about the lifestyle of Italian-Americans, more commonly known as “guidos”. First of all, some of the characters on this show aren’t even Italian, but far from it!! Second, many Italians, especially those living on the Jersey Shore who do not abide by this same lifestyle, are extremely offended by the stereotypes that have emerged because of how these characters have portrayed themselves.
            Focusing back on the information I have gathered from my peers who are avid watchers of Jersey Shore, I have been able to draw further conclusions on the message from the media. I probed how a show with so many violent and provocative people was able to continuously capture an audience. The results I received was that the “so-called-reality” of the show, makes themselves feel better about their own lives. The Jersey-Shore characters do nothing productive, which in turn encourages other people to stray from these same attitudes. Who knew trashy reality television also worked as reverse psychology!
            The bottom line is that Jersey Shore has become a phenomenon that people become obsessed with, while join the other thousands of people conforming to like this show just to say they watch it. The message from this show can be construed easily depending on the person watching television and interpreting the message from the media. Although many people are able to watch the show and know this lifestyle is exaggerated and inappropriate, others may like what they see, and strive for this low standard of living. 

6 comments:

  1. Alex, I am so proud of you for standing up against the Jersey Shore phenomenon! I recently learned that Mike "the situation" is earning millions of dollars this year! He earns this from being on the show, and requires a minimum appearance fee of $200,000 to show up to a club and dance and drink free alcohol!!! Not to mention the pictures they sell of themselves to tabloids, etc.

    Although you discuss their lazy lifestyle permitting reverse psychological motivation I disagree. Thousands of Americans are posting themselves on YouTube and doing crazy things to get on the news. Yesterday I heard on the radio a lady threw acid in her face on the street and blamed it on a passing stranger, it completely disfigured her face!
    I can't stand ostentatiously graphic t-shirts and Ed Hardy designs, but I would gladly show up to a club and get my picture taken for $200 grand!!!! Who is to blame? The characters or cultural normalities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Christina and think it's awesome that you go against the Jersey Shore. I'm not a big reality show person at all but this one particularly disgusts me. It does so for the same reasons you discuss... mostly the stereotypes that the show presents about the Jersey Shore and Italian Americans.

    I think it's in poor taste to make such a blatantly stereotypical representation of a geographical group of people and call it reality TV.

    I also think the fact that Americans can become so enamored with such trashy TV is sad in this day. There are so many other things worth spending our time on whether it be with family or doing work for important social organizations/causes that would be more productive than sitting watching these disgusting images on TV. It reminds me of the same poor taste of shows like Jerry Springer.

    This brings up an interesting point about some of the most negative effects which media has had on our modern lives. Before television people never would have been so obsessed or concerned with these "celebrities" (or any celebrities for that matter, at least before TV, music and movies). However now people like these "characters" are idolized to a scary extent and have an intense effect on children which is a whole other issue.

    Now you've gotten me started... I could go on forever. But I'll stop here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, I agree with everything you said, I cannot understand how this television show has become such a huge cultural phenomenon. I loathe the show, but this show has enticed so many people that they make it part of their lives. Some of my friends are so obsessed with this show that they even argue about what is going to happen in passing conversation, it is ridiculous. I agree that this show does not portray the correct values and lifestyle that is suitable for normal people.
    It may be true that people might watch this show for many reasons, either they're actually interested in these peoples lives, or they watch it because its so ridiculous, but either way I don't understand why the broadcasters would expose people to such a vulgar show revolving around even worse people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not agree more with you. However the show is exciting because of the editing. If you notice the the camera effect is vibrating and the colors are exaggerated. This creates an effect that a lot is happening on this show. I believe that shows like this also are responsible for the image I have of guidos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on never seeing the show Alex! I have never seen an episode either and am in fact completely against it because everything about it screams tacky and unappealing. When we were younger, we were taught that people bully others just so they can feel better about themselves. If the general public watches Jersey Shore for the same reason, does that make the entire Jersey Shore audience bullies? Is that what society has come to? Finding motivation through uneducated, unmotivated, poorly dressed people? I suuuure hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like you're onto a really really popular artifact! Thank you for teaching me what a 'guido' is, I feel more in-touch w/ today's tv shows now. I can identify w/ your perplexity about JS's popularity, but don't you find it be the perfect case to explain that--media are important to us not because of what it is about (its content or messages) but because of what it does (it performs an emotional function of the mass). Moreover, while the medium's message might be one (you and JS's fans see the same message) but it can perform multiple functions for different people.

    Great post.

    d.

    ReplyDelete